Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Looking Back and Moving Forward


Looking back to those days when I had to sit alone in the Library of Lincoln's Inn pondering what the examination questions will be like is indeed both hilarious and nostalgic. Hilarious because I could have answered any of the questions nowadays and perhaps even add a bit of my own opinion to top it off. Nostalgic because I could never ever get another opportunity feeling what it was like sitting next to Lord Denning.

The weather was getting warmer by the day and everyone of us is worried sick that the final Bar exams is just round the corner. I was trying to make heads and tails of Family Law when Lord Denning came into the Library and sat next to me. I looked at him and immediately I said to myself. " Today I am making history".

Is that Lord Denning sitting next to me? Wow!!! Then I said to him - Good morning My Lord. He looked back at me and said Good Morning to you too my son. The rest of the conversation I will remember for the rest of my life.

The last time I saw him was during my call to the English Bar and he signed my Certificate along with that of Lord Irvine. The last I heard of him was when he died at the ripe old age of 100.

Many little things in life I will always remember and when I have my little glass of wine or my pint of beer, recalling my past experience is a "pleasure". When I went back to Chelmsford, Essex a few years ago and walk up the steps at the main university building I could feel myself transported back to student days.

My darling daughter asked me " Daddy is that your old school ? "
I said " No Elaine this use to be what I call home. "

Its been years now that I last visited England and Scotland where I use to struggle with my Scottish Highers ( like A levels ). I am looking forward to another visit and hopefully soon - if I can find time.



No comments:

Post a Comment